August 8, 2009

Boom muthafucka

If you haven't figured yet, I like to dance. Ynoe, before high school I never used to, but now I do. It's like my favorite thing to do haha it's wierd. I became drawn to something so foreign and new to me. I never even liked dancing and out of the blue I wanted to do it. It was so wierd. To be honest I thought it was hella cool. And it is! But in the beggining I was a little vague in my understanding, and the way I thought dancing was cool was exactly how I think a person playing the piano is cool. I didn't know anything about it. There's a lot I didn't know about it. Actually, I take that back.. I didn't know squat about dancing.

Movement's a give-in. But I learned that it's deeper than that, way deeper. I've learned that there's a difference between dancing and performing. I've learned and am still learning that there are certain ways to control how you move. "Move with a purpose/ walk with a purpose". I've learned that everything given to you is just guidelines and that you could do whatever the fuck you want with it. Sky's the limit. I've met and even danced with/amongst amazing dancers and they've done nothing but inspire me. Thanks to my teachers i've learned to discipline myself. Specifically, I've learned from Patrick Cruz that you gotta want it. You have to. Call me selfish or self-obsorbed but i've worked my ass to learn and understand what I do. The funny thing about that is that I still have a lot to learn. I'm okay with that and i'm open to it all. If I knew everything there is to know about dancing i'd probably be bored by now. But I don't, and that's what keeps me wanting it more. I've learned that you can't settle for shit as a dancer. What I mean by that is.. you can't just rest on your laurels nor can't you just sit back. There's always room for improvement, always. I've said this before but it's an on-going learning experience. To me, dancing is all about improving and moving forward as a dancer. And I think i've convinced myself that that's the reason why I enjoy it as much as I do. I'm in the studio to learn, to grow, and to have fun. Simple but complicated.

Auditions today was crazy. But I did well, despite my whack ass freestyle LOL! For those looking in on my group, forgive me and forget that even happened hahahaha! I'm ready for APT 09-10. Let's do this :-]

-Mel